The mihrab of the mosque in Sheikh-Coy (dated by the Crimean Khanate time) is a spolia, as its study suggested. Originally it belonged to another, Golden Horde’s building, the
location of which is not yet known. Its architectonics and stylistic features are characteristic
of the Seljuk art tradition and chronologically correlates with the date of the inscription over
the entrance – 1358. It was found that the fourfold overlapping of the heptagonal in plan
niche of this mihrab reused parts of the stalactite arch. Primarily, before the move, it had fi ve
levels and a rectangular base. During assemblage of the сonch in the new place, the parts of
the two adjacent horizons were reversed, and the lowest level of the original construction,
which at the time served as the transition to the walls of the niche, was abolished. Adaptation
of the spolia was accompanied by a decrease in the overall height of the whole structure and
a signifi cant change of the original forms of individual fragments by scabbing them and combining some apparently incompatible components. The lost western part of the capital and the
adjacent part of the relief ornament on the platband were replaced by a primitive imitation.
Limestone block with a four-tier stalactite сonch, which is now inside masonry walls, could
also belong to the original mihrab, but did not fi nd its appropriate place when reused in the
new building and thus was used as a usual building stone.
of Russian Academy of Sciences. Academician Vernadsky Ave., 2, Simferopol, 295007,